Thursday, November 8, 2012

God Bombs

You may be looking at the title of this post and find yourself a tad confused. You are probably wondering what "God Bombs" are. Well, I'll tell you. The term God Bomb is a little phrase I came up with to describe certain athletes who just happen be talking in an interview then, out of nowhere, BOOM! They owe all of their accomplishments to God. GOD BOMB! It's kind of like an F Bomb or an S Bomb. But instead of cursing, they're dropping Gods.

Now, let me just start this off by explaining something: I don't care what your religious beliefs are nor do I expect you to think in a certain way. That's the great thing about this country, you can do or say anything you want (in theory). But if I hear one more athlete give an interview then drop a God Bomb mid sentence, I'm going to lose it. You've heard of separation of church and state? Well I propose a new concept: separation of church and stadium.

Keep your beliefs off of my television. Just once I would love to hear someone give an interview without thanking their God. You make millions of dollars to play a game, but the second you describe how talented athletically you are, you decide to no longer be selfish and claim your skills are a gift of God. How about all those years you trained at your sport? The countless hours you spent in the gym and on the field/court perfecting every little detail of your game? How about your parents for supporting your decision as a kid to make the sport your whole life? No, forget all that. That stuff didn't really help.

What if I were being interviewed and at the very end I just said this: "And last but not least, I just want to thank my lord and savior Tickle Me Elmo. You were always there for me when I needed you." Weird, right? Or is it?

Who's to say that the red, cuddly creature isn't a "God" of some sorts? He's loved and adored everywhere around the world. He brings joy to people. That's a sort of God-type quality, is it not? Hell, the Elmo to the right and the God above are both doing the same open-arm pose.

Is Elmo a God? Probably not. But who's to say that your specific beliefs are correct? The fact of the matter is, no matter what you believe, no matter how you think (in terms of religion), chances are, you probably aren't going to convince other people to think exactly like you. It's great that you feel a certain way, but keep it to yourself. When I'm watching ESPN, I want to hear discussions about sports. I want to hear athletes talk about the game. I don't want to hear them preaching. I don't want to know how prayer has "set you free". Sports are one thing, religion is another. Keep them separate, and I'm a happy camper.

Should people continue to combine sports and religion, my new goal in life will become this: Find some way to became super famous, win a prestigious award and give a speech. Then at the very end of the speech, I will make sure I thank my lord and savior Tickle Me Elmo. So remember that now. Because sooner or later, you are eventually going to be Elmo Bombed!

No comments:

Post a Comment